Providence Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) began at what is now Waveland Historic Site in 1817. Men of the South Elkhorn Baptist Church (now South Elkhorn Christian Church) gathered at Waveland on February 13, 1817 to discuss the idea of locating a church in the Providence area. Providence Baptist Church was formed. In March of 1817, Brother Jeremiah Vardman was called to serve and he ministered through 1826. The first church building was built on US 27, near the Fayette/Jessamine County line in 1820 for $1,941.87. The building was irreparably damaged by a tornado in 1849.
Early on the congregation came under the influence of noted church restoration thinker Barton W. Stone whose
congregation was located at Cane Ridge in Bourbon County. Providence began to adopt an open stance at the communion table and thus in 1830 the congregation was removed from the Elkhorn Baptist Association and became known forever after as Providence Christian Church. The second church building was build in 1850 and is now Clairebourne Antiques on US 27.
The congregation began construction on its third facility in 1914 and moved in 1917. In August of 2006, the church property, where Red Robin Restaurant is now located, was sold to become a part of the Brannon Crossing Development. The church worshipped in a store front while the current building was under construction. In November of 2007, the congregation moved to 101 Providence Way.
The history of Providence Christian Church has been closely tied to our denomination, the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). We are grounded in Scripture, baptize by immersion, and celebrate Communion each Sunday. Men and women are prominent in leadership at every level. Providence Christian Church is oriented to outreach and vital worship and looks to make a broad impact for Christ in its community and beyond.You are invited to join Providence in worship and in service as we continue to be a witness for Christ in our neighborhoods and communities.
Feb 19th, 2017: Celebrating 200 Years!
For the 200th Anniversary of the congregation we took a group photo of everyone who was there on Feb 19th, 2017